Recently Christian Bale said he felt somewhat conscious of someone else taking on the role of Batman, as in Ben Affleck. Here is what Michael Keaton said in response to this, when ShortList asked him if he felt the same.
“Christian Bale recently said he felt jealous to see Ben Affleck wearing the cape and cowl – do you ever get that?
No. Do you know why? Because I’m Batman. I’m very secure in that.”
Damned right. Even if he is joking, it’s still the truth. Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight (I guess they thought calling him Batman was too much of a stretch) had nothing on the O.G. Bat. Nolan’s Batman to me seemed stressed, easily agitated and his Bruce Wayne alter ego seemed like a bit of douche. Keaton’s Batman on the other hand was cool, reserved and only spoke when he needed to. Like a real manly man.
In fact, Keaton mentioned Tim Burton’s movie being the genesis of this flood of comic book movies too.
“Tim changed, or started, everything. And I’m proud of the choice I made, in terms of how to play Batman. It’s probably easier now because Tim paved the way, and if I did anything to pave the way, I’m proud of that, too. I’ve never seen [a superhero movie] beginning to end. Oh actually, I saw the first Spider-Man – I thought that was really good. You can step into it more easily now, is my guess. Technically, [superhero movies] do everything for you. They create a world where all you’ve basically got to do is show up, not f*ck it up too much and you’ll come off OK.”
There’s only one Batman…
December 14, 2014 at 6:29 pm
Michael Keaton: Manly man.
December 14, 2014 at 8:22 pm
Michael Keaton was, indeed, the best Batman. He played the character as a real human being rather than a ‘superhero,’ which makes all the difference in the world.
December 14, 2014 at 10:34 pm
1) Thats a funny answer from Keaton
2) i think all actors except clooney have brought something to the role. Kilmer i always thought did a good job. & as i stated here b4 i am a Bale fan
3) Now back to Keaton , the real story here…i watched ” Birdman” & i just prey that it gives Keaton a career comeback. He is, was & will always be a great talent. I grew up with the guy. Nightshift, Mr.Mom, Beetlejuice, of course Batman & many more. He was always used by Ron Howard & Tim Burton..but i dont know what happend, its not like they had a falling out, they just stop using him. Burton fell in love with Depp & Howard with Tom Hanks. They stop using Keaton in their movies. Which IMO was fuckin tragic!
4) Also Hollywood change..Keaton was always a bit of an “off the wall” talent. Movies like the “Dream Team” were no longer been made, movies that he could be good in
5) Let me recommend some of Keatons work please:
*”Clean & Sober” this was Keatons first dramatic role. The first sign to the masses he could do drama & handle something like Batman. Morgan Freeman is in it too.
*” The Paper” directed by Ron Howard. This 1 came out in ’94 if im not mistaken. Great ensemble film. Featuring Tomei, Close & Duvall too. Takes place during 1 day. Good dramatic, suspenseful flick.
*”Desperate Measures* its an action movie..came out in ’97 i think..Andy Garcia is the good guy…Keaton the bad guy. Keaton had fun in the role ..u can tell.
6) I love Keaton & Hopefully Hollywood plus Burton & Howard call this guy again.
To many of us he is like the Sean Connery of Batmans. There would be others..some might even do a good job..but Keaton would always be the first.
December 14, 2014 at 10:51 pm
Best Batman ever