Reboot Fast & Furious, Because The 1st Is Still Best – ManlyMovie

Reboot Fast & Furious, Because The 1st Is Still Best

fastfuriousrebootAbout 14 years ago, maybe even 15 years ago, I read an article in a newspaper.  “Controversy:  New movie glorifies underground street racing”.  There was a black and white picture of a Mitsubishi Eclipse being blown up.  This wasn’t a promotional feature, but it might as well have been.  I kept it in mind and went to see the movie, twice.  It was the only Fast movie I paid to see on the big screen.

The thing is, The Fast and the Furious is a movie about cars.  The newer movies are not.  When it was released it was a smaller-scale movie trying to draw on the success of Gone in 60 Seconds.  Nobody knew who Vin Diesel was.  Nobody knew who Paul Walker was.  Some knew what NoS and an RX-7 were though.  Whereas the 2001 movie tried to reel in gearheads, the new movies try to draw in Transformers audiences.  I’m not usually one for reboots.  Today, after seeing the Super Bowl trailer.  I’m done.  Hit the reset button.

I still maintain that the action sequences in TFATF (2001) are better than those in the recent movies. Walter Hill once said in a Bullet to the Head interview that if the action in a movie isn’t believable, then it’s ultimately pointless.  In TFATF, a Supra chases two motorcycles.  It’s a great sequence.  It’s relatively grounded and the director said he was inspired by the chase sequence in Bullitt.  I mean, when Walker approaches a crest, you can see he respects it and briefly slows the car down, even though it makes a jump.  That kinda thing would be considered ‘too boring’ in the new movies.  I’m talking specifically about that new Super Bowl trailer.  The car probably would’ve taken flight, literally, in this years movie.  The action sequences in that trailer, incredibly, make Fast Five look gritty in comparison.  Increasingly this series resembles the mindset of a 7 year old at playtime.  You know, when you used to drive your toy car up the side of a chair?  You sorta knew that gravity probably wouldn’t permit it, but you didn’t care.  Sometimes, you’d even make the car fly.  There is a point when guilty pleasure just dwindles into no pleasure at all.

The first movie has superior action, closer to the 1970s than Marvel-era 2010s

I should give mention to the third movie.  Which I, as a car lover and action movie aficionado, consider to be the 2nd best in the series.  After the atrocious second, which is the worst of all of them, the third movie brought the series, briefly, back down to earth.  It’s another ‘car movie’.  It’s cheesy as fuck, and even cringeworthy in places.  But it places an onus on the smell of burning rubber.  Literally.  Does a car explode out of a flying airplane, barrell roll then cut to Vin Diesels face in the third movie?  Nope, but there is talk of changing spark plugs and the cost of new tyres.  Nowadays, it’s all about finding the biggest Hollywood star.  The Rock, Statham, whoever.  It’s all about doing the most silly 7-year old boy fantasy.

For once, this is a series I’d love to see a ‘grounded reboot’ on.  Let’s go back to stealing DVD players for a NoS fix, not dragging bank vaults up the streets of Brazil and literally ‘JR’ing’ people and bringing them back from the dead, like you used to do with your G.I. Joe toys.  The series is now where Bond was with Pierce Brosnan’s final hours.  A parody with invisible cars and the action being taken into space.  People didn’t know whether it was intentionally stupid and to laugh or whether it was just a bit shit.

Another thing with upping the ante with each iteration is the problem is bloating the cast.  In the last movie there were as many as 10-12 ‘faces’, i.e. regulars and famous people, from The Rock to Gal Gadot, with the core ‘family’ also being in there.  In a movie that runs for 130 minutes (including credits), this chops the screen time of each down to around 10 minutes.  Often less for each when you consider that this is basically a Vin Diesel show and everything must revolve around him.  It makes for a poor story.

The last movie was a picture without a villain, Luke Evans barely registered on anyone’s minds.  This problem will likely return here.  You have new additions in Jason Statham and Tony Jaa, with returnees like Lucas Black.  Then there are international stars, like Ali Fazal of India, recruited probably because there are like, you know, four trillion Indians.  And that means many, many pockets, so don’t expect Mr. Fazal to be doing the cameo thing.

One thing though.  In The Fast and the Furious (2001), Walker and Diesel ‘smoke’ a Ferrari in their 800BHP+ Supra.  Thing is, that’s a stock F355 Spider.  A ‘budget’ Ferrari if you will, the runt of the Ferrari pack.  Now, let’s see that Supra do the same thing to its big brother, say an Enzo, top speed 220mph+.  Especially one as modified as that Supra is.  This kind of discussion is a thing of the past with ‘Fast’ movies.

1. 123

February 12, 2015 at 10:09 pm

Your taste in films is terrible night rider, the only thing that needs rebooting is you writing articles for this site !

February 13, 2015 at 12:05 am

All is a matter of opinion 123
      One might not always agree with night, but he is a cool dude. I like him.
      this site stands for lots of things that have become bad due to political correctness that were never bad to begin with.
      Its a cool site. Manly movies rule!

• 123

February 13, 2015 at 11:43 am

Yeah that true I find night riders view s a little preachy if he doesn’t like something he try’s to justify why others shouldn’t like a certain film too which in my opinion is pathetic. Writing specific articles shitting on a franchise that alot of people like is just the opposite to been “manly” more like a teenager who cant get his own way so he moans and bitches “shaky cam, pg 13, too much cgi” and so on.

• The Night Rider

February 13, 2015 at 12:42 pm

If you can’t handle criticism of your favourite movies theny you’re fragile as fuck. Look at how mad you are lol.

• 123

February 13, 2015 at 12:55 pm

I never said they were my favourite movies were in the comment do I say fast and furious are my favourite movies? And I’m fragile coming from the guy who compelled to right 6 pages when one of your beloved ” franchises” is turned pg 13 if that’s not been mad then I don’t know what is lol. You did this with expendables 3 and the new terminator movie, pages of why they sucked like a deranged fan boy.

• The Night Rider

February 13, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Mm hmm. Tell me more dude. Let it out.

• 123

February 13, 2015 at 1:25 pm

Yeah just ignore valid points that you rage more then anybody about films that you “love” its okay just keep writing pointless articles on why films suck. Why not write something interesting like views on directors losing there touch as they get older “renny harlin, Ridley Scott, Simon west” etc or something on remakes other then whining about existing franchises.

• The Night Rider

February 13, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Hmm good idea, guys losing their touch. Good suggestion. I think I’ll write one about Arnold Schwarzenegger. If only to see the reaction of his cultist/sect followers 😉

• 123

February 13, 2015 at 2:06 pm

I would prefer one on directors as I think there alot to talk about seems to be a trend of directors s films declining over time. Could do a article on there good films and bad films. Lmaoo Jason Statham needs a article on how his solo film career is heading straight to DVD, humming bird, blitz, wild card, parker, homefront (disappointing), safe, crank 2, killer elite (average.

• iamthegame

February 13, 2015 at 2:23 pm

fuck you why you pick on Schwarzenegger and not statham its pathetic you need to get a life bro

• The Night Rider

February 13, 2015 at 2:37 pm

Aahahahaha! Wow dude, calm down!

• 123

February 13, 2015 at 2:41 pm

Lol I don’t know what people were expecting with arnies come back tbh the guys late 60s hes not exactly going to be reigniting the box office again at that age. I guess if he moved into dramas or more age appropriate roles then certain people would moan he’s not doing the roles that made him famous heavy action ones with cheesy one liners. I personally like his come back films last stand was entertaining enough, was more age appropriate but still delivered some decent action scenes, the mustang car chase in the corn field was pretty cool I read actually did that stunt and he had some cheesy one liners “you fucked up my car, you fucked up my day off”. Escape plan was a little disappointing I was expecting a tango and cash 2.

• Terminator5willsuckass

February 13, 2015 at 5:00 pm

RETARDED FAG.

February 13, 2015 at 3:25 pm

*All writers inject their personality or views into their respective articles. Best example of that recently are the reviews & subsequent debates regarding American Sniper.
          *My problem for example my friend , with modern cinema is that i believe that it’s great to have movies for everyone, but they are making every movie now it seems like for everyone. & that’s a big reason why movies are not as good as today. They are made to be liked by everybody & therefore lose their balls.
          * Me personally ,i have grown so tired of action movies that are shot like The Blair Witch fuckin Project! Action sequences that are impossible to follow. That is something i have in common with Night & others i have bonded here on this site. So yeah i am a shaky cam hater.
          *But listen, i read all your other posts & directors or actors not been as good. I am not shitting on Statham personally cause he is keeping the tradional tough guy manly actor thing going when it seems like no1 else is. Have all his movies been good? No, of course not. But i loved “Safe”. For example & that was not a huge hit.
          *A lot of movies we liked for example when i was younger do not get theatrical releases today. & i think it sucks. & this site & those who love it help promote that. So i have respect for Night for what he has done with this site in a very short amount of time.
          So take it easy on the founder, he a good man.
          * But listen, you seem passionate about these things , stick around.
          You have a point about stuff & that’s cool.
          & who knows, hang around this bunch long enough you will be bitchin’ about shaky cam in no time😎

• 123

February 13, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Yeah some good points with your post like American sniper getting mixed reviews I wasn’t saying night rider couldn’t have a opinion just writing articles 5 pages long on why a movie will suck is going abit to far. I like the site too with the updates on “manly movies ” I grew up with the classic s like original Robocop, predator, aliens, terminator 1 2, lethal weapon, cobra, Rambo, brave heart, love the old school movies and stars. Have own them all on blu ray and as for Statham I wasn’t shitting on him was just saying why not Do a article on his current decline in quality films, humming bird, blitz, parker, wild card, crank 2, homefront, and safe (the ending killed it for me expecting a good end fight for the little girl to kill him so lame). Same could be said about Nicolas cage you could do a ten page article on the crap hes put out lately.

February 13, 2015 at 10:47 pm

1) well..remember in the movie “Safe” is her story as much as it’s
            this girl had been put thru the ringer cause of the bad guys. That was her ” moment” ..it didn’t bother me rhat much since the film was action.packed. like “Homefront ” very much too. But James Franco could have been a bit tougher
            2) Nicolas Cage i think gradually went back to been who he was b4 his Oscar. He got an Oscar & for the next few years became A list. But he gradually unintentionally or not became that offbeat actor that was in some good movies & some that werent. I remember b4 he won the Oscar he had a couple of movies that went straight to HBO. check out “Lord of War” & ” The Weather Man” if u haven’t from the mid 00’s
            2 great Cage’s movies that are underrated IMO

• 123

February 14, 2015 at 12:36 am

True just you expect a good final show down when Statham’s involved that why it was disappointing and yeah cage has done done some good films con air, gone in sixty seconds, the rock, face off, just lately its fell apart with the like s of Bangkok dangerous, knowing, ghost rider 1 2, outcast, sorcerer apprentice, next, wicker man, stolen, the one with Nicole Kidman forgot the name, the one with Ron perlman set in medieval period, drive angry, there’s more I can’t think of a actor other then seagal thats shot that many turds out lol

February 14, 2015 at 12:54 am

He was an off the wall talent that became mainstream. Did some wonderful work during that run , but he is kinda back to how he was. However, when he wants to..he can be great.
            The 1 with Nicole Kidman is “Trespass”
            But the 1992 “Trespass” is wayy better. No relation, just the same title.
            but its a better movie

• 123

February 14, 2015 at 3:30 pm

Yeahh hes still good when he wants to be I enjoyed that frozen grounds if you’ve seen that? Based on a true story and the film Joe he was in recently was good too. Yeahh it was called trespass was pretty poor tbh but havnt seen the other film with the same name. What films do you like mucho macho?

February 14, 2015 at 10:52 pm

I want to watch “Joe” but haven’t . I think is on Netflix so i need to find time.
            Frozen Ground i liked.
            Walter Hill directed “Trespass” with bill paxton, william sadler, Ice-T & Ice Cube it’s pretty cool.
            i like a bunch of stuff but i love action movies. My fav movies are from the 80’$ & 90’$

2. Jay Beezy

February 12, 2015 at 10:47 pm

I do understand the complaints but I have a hunch Statham will fare better than Luke Evans based on the fact that it’s Statham and Vin respects that fact.

February 12, 2015 at 11:59 pm

1) it’s amazing what this franchise has become. The original at first was called “Racer X”. Was supposed to come out in the spring but screen tested so well that it got pushed go a summer release.. then boom! Became a hit.
    2) what was just weird is that James Wan said he wanted to “ground” the series. But the trailer comes across as Transformers sometimes. I will go watch it. I just want a great Statham vs Rock & vs Diesel fights

February 13, 2015 at 12:09 am

Hey guys , let me praise this movie again,
    **”No Man’s Land” from 1987**
    Starring Charlie Sheen & D.B. Sweeny..
    D.B. plays an undercover cop that infiltrates a gang of car thieves & falls in love with the leader’s sister. Sound Familiar!?
    Great cool car action movie from my beloved 80’$ ⤵⤵⤵

5. New_Rodro

February 13, 2015 at 1:41 am

First one was a lame rip-off from Point Break (1991).

• The Night Rider

February 13, 2015 at 12:44 pm

Yes it was.

6. Cal

February 13, 2015 at 8:23 am

Sorry Knight, gotta disagree. The first Fast and the Furious is unwatchable. The third is equally terrible.

The fifth and sixth films are the only entries in the franchise I can actually tolerate.

• 123

February 13, 2015 at 11:31 am

Yeah the 3rd film is easily the weakest in the series was almost on straight to DVD level. I read before vin agreed to return for the 4th film that universal were going to go the straight to dvd route with the franchise.

• The Night Rider

February 13, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Like I said dude, car movies with stunts, vs movies for people who aren’t into cars with CGI.

7. CyrusTheVirus85

February 13, 2015 at 3:31 pm

Arnold fanboys are so fucking creepy. And dumb.

8. FastandCurious7

February 13, 2015 at 4:59 pm

Agreed, the first one is the best by far, the second had great car races too, the 3rd is awesome if you like fast cars and drifting, the 4th still had car races i enjoyed it, then fast 5 was fucking garbage, fast 6 was OK but doesn’t have enough cars , the 7th film is probably like fast 6.

I’d say the first 3 are the best ones for car guys.

9. Ifuckthegame

February 13, 2015 at 5:31 pm

iamthegame is a FUCKING FAGGOT WITH TINY BALLS, a stupid girly man if you ask me.