[REVIEW] Wild Hogs (2007) Is Actually A Funny Movie - ManlyMovie

[REVIEW] Wild Hogs (2007) Is Actually A Funny Movie

wildhogswatcholine

Runtime: 100 Mins
Rated: PG-13
What To Expect: A movie that somehow defies the odds, makes you laugh

Years back when Blu Ray first came out, I got this movie through the mail when I was using one of those postal rental services.  I had ran out of things to rent, and somehow this ended up on the list as filler.  By all accounts, it looked (and looks) like shit.  It has ‘autumn years’ John Travolta – i.e. everything he appears in is shit.  It has Tim Allen, a second rate John Travolta, and it has Martin Lawrence, a third-rate Eddie Murphy.  And it’s also a Disney movie, if I recall.  It looks like one of those shitty, soft-assed sappy comedies that premier on TV at 1pm at Christmas Day.  It looks that way, but this motherfucker is a dark horse.  A sleeper.  It’s one of those movies where if someone is in the room, I work an excuse in to get it on screen, or if it comes on TV, I have to watch till the end.  It shouldn’t work, but it just does.

Travolta, Allen, Macy and Lawrence are in well-timed mid life crises’.  They deal with it by going on a road trip across the USA on their pristine, hardly used bikes.  The idea is to ditch the women and cellphones and let the road clear their minds.  These are four family men, from the suburbs, playing biker-gang in their spare time.  They are the ‘Wild Hogs’.  Then they run into and fall afoul of the real deal – a gang of biker thugs led by manly man Ray Liotta.  While being chased up and down highways by Liotta and Co. for being ‘fake’, not to mention blowing up Liotta’s shack/bar, they are also stalked by a gay biker-cop (John C. McGinley) who assumes they are all gay, and wants in on the action.  Right from the off in this movie, you can ‘sense’ that it’s going to be good because the actors are clearly having a ball, not phoning it in like a typical caper movie.

The humor in this movie is fucking crude but it is elevated hugely by perfect casting.  Take Macy, the guy is practically playing Ned Flanders here.  So.. Ned Flanders walks into the roughest biker bar imaginable expecting a solidarity bikers welcome.  Liotta indulges the noobs before losing patience.  His interactions with Liotta’s thug are hilarious, the dialogue is custom-tailored trolling (“So you’re a biker gang, huh?” … “Yep!  Yepperrooni!”).  This is also probably the first time in the history of Martin Lawrence movies, that Martin Lawrence himself has actually made me laugh.  Well done Martin, you got there in the end. Everyone is on form here.  It could’ve been better though, if this thing was Rated-R it would’ve been an all time classic. Top it off:  It’s probably the best Blu Ray transfer I’ve ever seen, even today.  The cinematography and 1080p picture are just staggering.

You know what? This film is twice as funny as ‘The Hangover’, and we won’t see a sequel.  They canned a sequel to this.  Good going, studio, you drop turds all over the place but when you finally do get it right, you fuck it up.

eight

March 4, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Cool movie.
    can’t comment on the blu ray quality cause i got the dvd.
    Travolta staring at Liotta like Clint Eastwood is funny.
    all actors were great in this.
    I like Matin Lawrence. But he don’t always have the greatest material. Here he did & was very funny. That scene where the bad guys are instructed not to do anything until the boss gets there & Lawrence acts all tough & throws ketchup on them always makes me laugh.
    closing credits are funny too.
    funny fucking movie
    good fight at the end too.
    good flick

• 123

March 4, 2015 at 6:57 pm

Yeahhh I own this on dvd too I enjoyed the film was funny movie the motor bike scene was hilarious. Muchoooo you need to watch the wedding ringer really funny. My favourite comedy is super bad nothing comes close to that film so funny shame it never got a sequel (mclovinnggggg).

March 4, 2015 at 9:13 pm

I saw the Wedding Ringer
        it was funny.
        i liked it more than i thought i would.
        The fat white guy in that usually annoys me but not so much in that movie.
        I own Super Bad it’s good but it ain’t my favorite.

• 123

March 4, 2015 at 11:33 pm

Good glad you liked it I was the same went in with low expectations but was surprised how funny it was I liked the story guys needing best men was funny. And really muchooo what’s your fave comedy ?

March 5, 2015 at 1:09 am

I don’t have 1 specific movie per se. But i can recommend..let me know if u have seen any of them..but i for example love a few comedies John Cusack did back in the day. If Spiderman would have been made in the 80’s Cusack would have been perfect. Even Stan Lee said so.
            I love
            “Better Off Dead”
            “One Crazy Summer”
            “The Sure Thing”
            “Say Anything”
            In the 90’s
            “Gross Point Blank”( fits in that category very well as well)
            & u know what ” Hot Tub Time Machine” was goofy fun. ( i have not seen part 2. Havent heard good things about it. Us Cusack aint in it.A buddy of mine just called to see if we can see it tomorrow. Maybe i’ll
            go)
            Dont know if u have seen them all, some or none but thats a good place to start. I love ” Better Off Dead” so much..is a fuckin classic.
            * i feel comedies today try to hard to be cool. U can see the goofiness & how cheesy those movies were but in the end, thats what made them special. They were fun.
            i can think of others too later.

• 123

March 5, 2015 at 8:16 pm

Awww I havnt seen the majority of them I’ve got hut tub time machine i enjoyed that, I havnt seen the second one either. My faces are American pie the first 3, super bad, horrible bosses, hangover, internship (I’m probs in a minority), sex drive, bad grandpa, role models, ted, me myself and Irene, dumb and dumber, blue streak, 21 jump street, step brothers, anchorman, the other guys, money talks, Friday, alot of modernish ones I like ha

• 123

March 5, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Dodge ball was funny chuck Norris had a cameo lol

March 6, 2015 at 1:49 am

I’m workin right now but i’ll write u later so i could tell u about some movies.
            but write those John Cusack titles down & seek’em
            they were , are & will always be awesome.
            Btw..american pie was great..but look for the porky’s trilogy if u havent watched them & revenge of the nerds #1 &#2

2. Boatman_90

March 4, 2015 at 7:37 pm

What a movie, all the actors are funny and liotta is a mad biker leader. It was a shame when they canned the second one it was in the pipeline for a while too always go to this movie for a laugh