The Rock Says: Calm Down, We’ll Bring In Carpenter – ManlyMovie

The Rock Says: Calm Down, We’ll Bring In Carpenter

rock-big-trouble-little-china

Last week we posted some news that Dwayne Johnson unilaterally revealed that he was pushing forward with a “Big Trouble in Little China” remake.  The reaction was decisively negative in the comments section and opinion across the internet at large pretty much reflected the views of our readers.

Possibly worse, John Carpenter, who directed the original, hadn’t even been consulted.  Ever the tactician, The Rock however has his finger on the pulse and has spoken to Entertainment Weekly about the backlash…

“I loved reading the reactions from the fans, that they were so polarized – I’m the same way. My response is: know that I come to the project with nothing but love and respect for the original, which is why we want to bring on John Carpenter.”

Johnson also says that if there are signs that the movie is going to suck, he’s going to pull the plug.

“I loved the original when I was younger and I loved the main character – all the characters. It felt like if we surrounded ourselves with the right group of people, the right writers who loved the movie too and wanted to honor it, bring on John Carpenter in some capacity… If we did that, then we have a shot at hopefully making something good. Let’s see what feels good, what we can come up with and then go from there. As we write it, if the whole thing starts to stink up, then we thank everybody for their efforts and accept this just couldn’t make it.”

I suppose that sounds somewhat encouraging, as opposed to, say, forcing the movie ahead and recruiting people to come in and call it a “straight 10”, after it becomes obviously poor.  As opposed to taking the stance “I need this movie to be a financial success, now turn up and see it”.

June 9, 2015 at 1:22 am

I respect The Rock..
    I am a big fan..
    But still..

June 9, 2015 at 2:41 am

He’s just telling you what you want to hear. The Rock is a politician. He has a nice enough way about him but he’s really just a typical modern day focus grouped showbiz professional. No opinions that haven’t been vetted. No interest in breaking new ground in film or in trying to channel the classic action cinema of an earlier more interesting time. It is very likely he is a smart operator who thinks his audience are chimps.

• The Night Rider

June 9, 2015 at 2:22 pm

I agree. He’s a budding Schwarzenegger.

• Barney Ross

June 9, 2015 at 3:04 pm

I love The Rock but he makes too much PG13 shit which makes him a fake manly man. He’s no Schwarzenegger (from 1982 to 1996).

He was at his best in DOOM (2005)

June 9, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Not only John Carpenter but KURT RUSSEL and the R RATING is a must otherwise dont fuck with this franchise, The Rock could play another character but NOT replace Russel this is a disgrace and i love The Rock.

4. Dino Bambino

June 10, 2015 at 3:31 pm

He needs his own big franchise/icon. But he won’t, because he’s all about playing it safe and being PG. He’s a fake action guy; a fake action hero. So I can probably assure you that the remake’ll be soulless, colorless, safe, PG-13 plastic.

Even Vin “I only have Riddick” Diesel is a better action star than him. In fact, Riddick > anything the Rock has done. And I don’t even like Vin that much. Disappointing.

• Barney Ross

June 10, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Too bad you’re probably right about that one chap, but i hope The Rock wakes up and makes hardcore R rated stuff. Doom was a good start but it flopped. Faster was not bad and R rated but it was nothing special. It’s all PG13 shit now.