[REVIEW] Death Sentence (2007) | ManlyMovie

[REVIEW] Death Sentence (2007)

DEATHSENTENCEMOVIE Ever notice how Kevin Bacon repeatedly plays some form of sex offender?  In Murder in the First, he sexually accosts a woman (albeit briefly).  In Sleepers he is a pedophile.  In Hollow Man, he is a rapist.  In Mystic River he sides with a paedophile and lets him walk free.  In The Woodsman, he is again, you guessed it, a pedophile.  In ‘Trapped‘, he kidnaps a little girl and sexually assaults her mother.  I’m pretty sure he does the same thing in The River Wild when he kidnaps another woman, and her child.  And these are only from Bacon movies I’ve seen.  But here, it’s hard not to like even Bacon, because this is a genre that is hard to fuck up: Revenge.  When a kid gets gunned down in a store, his old man goes berserk and goes on a bloodbath rampage.  Get ’em, Bacon!

So Bacon’s hot-shot son in murdered during a gang initiation.  Bacon is pissed when he hears the killer won’t serve any real time then refuses to testify so that he can murder him himself.  Good call, Bacon. And so begins tit-for-tat with each act of violence escalating.  It’s a simple but cool concept.  We like to see vermin get punished, the more violent the reprisal the better.  Death Wish was savvy enough to know that this works better the more you hate the bad guys.  Scum would be a good way to describe these bad guys, in fact this whole movie has a veneer of intangible ‘scum’ over it.  Charles Bronson made a career out of this type of movie.  Ever wonder what a modern day Death Wish would look like?  Well this is its seedy, disturbed grandson.  It’s a rough movie, in line with ‘Running Scared’ with Paul Walker.  It’s actually a tight little thriller too – not a bad movie, so the fact it was so critically shat on should suggest how rough it actually is.

Someone somewhere thought it would be a good idea to have the director of SAW handle a revenge/vigilante thriller.  Well, that was a good idea.  The director clearly gets off on stabbings, shootings and … more stabbings and shootings.  Even the lighter moments in this film are dark.  The opening sequence that is supposed to show a happy family environment is shot like some Jig-Saw candid footage, it’s creepy and morbid.  In Death Sentence, John Goodman (great cameo) is only too ready to kill his own son, and the son only too ready to kill him.  That’s how cheerful this movie is.  Eventually, Bacon goes completely batshit, shaves his head, suits up and goes on a killing rampage with a bag of guns.  It’s like the step that D-Fens from Falling Down was too afraid to take.  The end shootout is actually breath-fucking-taking.  Worth the price of admission.  Like any good shootout, every gunshot is devastating and the camera confident.  Bacon, literally, gives them both barrells.  It could almost pass for a ‘Raid’ deleted scene.

In a way, this is kind of like the nasty, scumbag cousin of ‘Taken’.  It’s a good fucking movie and I wouldn’t argue against a sequel.

1. Avatar

Andymovieman

July 26, 2015 at 1:18 pm

His friends Dave and Jimmy played by Tim Robbins and Sean Penn in mystic river weren’t pedophiles. Dave was sexually abused and haunted by it but that didn’t make him a pedophile, so you better get your story straight. Dave was accused of murdering Jimmy’s daughter but he didn’t do it cause he murdered a pedophile that very same night. Jimmy killed Dave after he falsely admitted he killed his daughter in order to let him live.

2. Avatar

July 26, 2015 at 1:20 pm

Kevin Bacon has done a shit load of films. He really has done all type of movies and Genres. He has done good guys and bad guys but he has been specially good doing villains.
    He is an underrated actor IMO

3. Avatar

July 26, 2015 at 1:23 pm

Charlie Clouser’s score is phenomenal for this film. Deserves individual praise.

4. Avatar

July 26, 2015 at 1:32 pm

I really loved this movie. Is an underrated manly movie gem. So few people have seen it, it’s sad. I bring it up all the time and a lot of people don’t know about it.
    If the Oscars had any balls they would have at least nominated Bacon for a Best Performance by an actor Oscar.
    I don’t know who won the statue that year nor do i care. But Bacon’s performance as a grief suffering father is terrific. I remember someone saying once it belongs in another movie. like that hospital scene he has with the Son. but I disagree, I think it makes his vigilante more badass more relatable.
    *I’m not kidding,Kevin Bacon should have won an Oscar for manly vigilante of the year!
    but you need to play retarded or a Holocaust survivor to win Oscars.
    ☆ Death Sentence is a great fuckin movie!!!

5. Avatar

Jay Beezy

July 26, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Don’t forget about that tracking shot in the parking garage.

6. Avatar

Andymovieman

July 26, 2015 at 3:58 pm

I loved him in Hollow Man as the villain. Last good american film from Paul Verhoeven.

7. Avatar

jim

July 26, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Death Sentence is a remake of Death Wish.It’s based on Brian Garfield’s novel of the same name.Love Goodman in this.He should play more heavies. It’s a good film. Here’s a controversial point of view: I think Bacon might be better than Bronson in the part.Here’s why: I bow to no one in my admiration for the proud self reliant unapologetic alpha that was Bronson.He has no equivalent today.Quite simply,he makes our generation of leading men look gay.But here’s the thing:Bronson never looked like an ordinary man. You don’t meet guys who look like Bronson on the train.Certainly not when he grew that dangerous moustache in the seventies.When you see that face,you know someone is going to get hurt. He looks like a guy you don’t fuck with.Bronson is peerless as the avenging angel but Bacon is better at portraying the average guy at the start of the film who is driven to extremes. Interestingly,Burt Lancaster was the original choice for Death Wish. He was another guy who could look ordinary wearing glasses and a hat but could be quite fearsome in a tough role when he needed.Death Sentence is an unappreciated movie. Bacon is underrated too.

July 26, 2015 at 6:44 pm

-Its called Mandom Jim…
      Mandom!
      – if Charles Bronson we’re riding a train, the train will be called the “Testosterone Express”
      – I would not write anything bad about Bronson…I’m afraid his ghost may come back and shoot me

8. Avatar

Jimmy Smith

July 26, 2015 at 6:43 pm

Solid movie. Not as predictable as you’d expect either which is what I liked. Kevin Bacon is probably one of the best actors to have not won an oscar or even get nominated.

July 26, 2015 at 6:43 pm

Along with Gary Oldman

Jimmy Smith

July 26, 2015 at 11:53 pm

I’m going to give this a re watch soon , reading the review reminded me of how good this movie is . Bad ass, dark and rated R bloody action just the way I like it!!

July 27, 2015 at 1:22 am

Great underrated, underappreciated manly movie. Featuring a great performance by Kevin Bacon and a great score

9. Avatar

July 26, 2015 at 6:46 pm

“The River Wild” it’s a very cool entertaining action movie featuring the unlikely star of the film Meryl Streep vs bad guy Kevin Bacon but everything was done practical.
    it was still the 90$

10. Avatar

Mainline DnB

July 26, 2015 at 7:40 pm

Brilliant film. The only thing i remember not being too happy about was some instances of CGI blood, but they were quite fleeting and it is the director of Saw after all. I love the incredibly dark turn the movie takes just after the halfway point, when the gang attacks Bacon’s house. I was actually shocked, and even more bloodthirsty than i was after seeing the son get it in the first act. That’s a ballsy move for any film, even a revenge one. Will have to watch it again some point this week.

11. Avatar

Barney Ross

July 27, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Good movie similar to a Punisher movie! In a pussy PG13 world, this is fucking good!

12. Avatar

Barney Ross

July 27, 2015 at 3:37 pm

July 27, 2015 at 6:05 pm

Jim reintroduced me to that some time ago.
      it is classic and brilliant
      I always use it now with my friends like “spray some mandom on yourself u pussy”
      it’s fuckin great..hahaha.
      always a treat to watch

jim

July 28, 2015 at 12:22 pm

I’ve also gotten some mileage out of your notion of a Bronson brand deodorant made from mace & pepper spray. Imagine a Bronson line of male toiletries named after power tools. In the seventies in the UK there was a male deodorant called “Brute”.Don’t know if that was too macho for you guys on that side of the pond.

July 28, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Lol
          *Charles Bronson bringing people together around the world! He should be proud👍
          *Yes my friend..Brut did make its way on this side of the pond.
          very popular, I still see it every now and again when I go to the drugstore. but Mandom was too manly for us to handle.
          “With great power comes great responsibility”
          we were not ready for such a thing😲✌ https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/b8bbc308528f0e51153528effbdd6d38566211b2d0e86f8fd8cabea7392831d9.jpg
          https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/4ec0ba5834443cde902f339cab3e769fe9175f28c830bb5f51e95112c27e19b2.jpg https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/5702070193b7c05d448bb785a62834eaa7c5e8edde1d02cb60b1acedad7fedf0.jpg

jim

July 28, 2015 at 5:05 pm

HaHa!!….”Some Men Just Need To Be Slapped”….That is a great ad….and now I do remember there was no “e” in “Brut”. I should have known that.The “e” is just girly.”Brut” is much more macho.More “Bronsonesque” if you will.Too macho for me.Never saw a can of “Mandom” either. I favoured “Old Spice”.You got that in US? It’s more old school gentleman stuff.More Roger Moore that Bronson.

THE MARK OF A MAN !!

July 28, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Yes my friend “Old Spice” is an American brand & like Brut it expanded unto other products. I think i own some, like deodorant and body watch.
            Aqua Velva is another reliable product

jim

July 28, 2015 at 8:06 pm

I expect they’re all globalised products.It’s just that “Brut” seemed to have a touch of good old fashion British thuggery about it. The guys in The Sweeney(1970’s version) would have worn it. Maybe football hooligans on a night out too.Bob Hoskins in The Long Good Friday would wear “Brut”. I always felt “Old Spice” was English. Very seventies jet setter businessman vibe. Maybe pilots in the 60’s70’s would use it. Those were the days.If we ever get a second go round I would like to be re-incarnated as a chainsmoking,hard drinking,E-type Jag driving, stewardess shagging man about town with a job that meant flying in Beoing 707’s and VC10’s between the fleshpots of New York and Europe in the 1950’s60’s70’s80’s. That was the time to be alive and reasonably young with money in your pocket when sex was safe and cars were dangerous.Today,it’s the other way around..It’s all been downhill since then.

July 28, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Who wouldn’t friend wanna be what u described?
            Sign me up as well

jim

July 27, 2015 at 11:56 pm

Charles Bronson drank gasoline and pissed battery acid….and this is the greatest commercial ever made.This is the full macho.Now I’m going to have to go and watch Death Hunt again.It’s almost too much macho for me……Just can’t handle all that macho….

Barney Ross

July 28, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Hahahaha that was funny. When i watch this commercial i need to shave at the same time because hair is growing faster on my chest. By the end of the commercial, i look like a bear.

jim

July 28, 2015 at 5:36 pm

In the sixties Bronson was bigger box office in Europe than the US.The Italians used to call him “Il Brutto”. To the French he was “le monstre sacre”. Even his nicknames are macho as fuck.

July 28, 2015 at 6:15 pm

When Il Brutto shows up at your doorstep..
            It means your ass

13. Avatar

Down By Law 85

July 28, 2015 at 5:47 pm

Loved this film. Saw it in the UK cinemas – back to back with Shooter – two proper manly action films. They only showed it for one week as I went to see it a second time and they’d already pulled it. As said only shit parts was the CGI squibs. Love how loud the handguns are in the finale – like they should be – fucking frighteningly loud. Kevin handled that over and under Shotgun beautifully. Also this music always gets me pumped up. Incredibly underrated movie

14. Avatar

Barney Ross

July 28, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Guys the new HITMAN movie is R RATED we need to support it
    Here’s my FANEDIT of the trailer (tried to make it similar to the games)