POLL: Commando Vs. Terminator 2 – ManlyMovie

POLL: Commando Vs. Terminator 2

I almost forgot about our poll this week, a busy time for me all week.  Turns out it was the most voted on poll so far with around 1,800-1,900 votes cast.  In the end, Lethal Weapon defeated Heat (the best movie ever made in my opinion) by 0.25%.  So, a Gibson movie progresses.

Now in this week’s poll, Arnold Schwarzenegger is going to have to do battle against Arnold Schwarzenegger, with two of the manliest movies of all time going head to head with Commando Vs. Terminator 2.

It’s a difficult choice, but which is the manliest movie? Keep up top speed with the tournament so far…

May 1, 2016 at 10:10 pm

I still remember watching this for the first time and being so pumped as a kid.
    Good memories. They don’t make teasers like this no more.

• Jacob Phillips

May 1, 2016 at 10:36 pm

May I add this video to the collection? Still one of my favourite GN’R songs to this day and connection to T2 never did any harm! Arnold was actually in the video!

May 2, 2016 at 5:56 am

Thanx for posting it. I actually thought about it but forgot.
        I love these 2 fucking albums. This was the first song that was going to be featured in “Use your Illusions”Albums 1& 2
        This song was used as the first single for the “T2” soundtrack. Came out in June ’91 i think while the albums were released in the fall, september I believe. This was back when people camped out in stores & bought CDs.
        I was really into GnR back then. Still love the albums. Have the CDs still .
        Btw..I remember recording this video on VHS.
        GnR made some great videos. their premiers were a big deal in TV back in the day I bought a DVD that contains all their music video.
        They were cool

• Jacob Phillips

May 2, 2016 at 8:45 am

Me too, I always want to listen to their albums in the Summer for some reason. I read Slash’s autobiography a couple of years ago, good read, Sylvester Stallone gets a mention, he and Duff McKagan were neighbours in a run down apartment building once or something. I had that music video collection on VHS! I actually got to meet Duff McKagan in Grimsby of all places when he was playing with a band called Walking Papers a few years ago. I wouldn’t pay an arm and a leg to go see their current reunion tour though.

May 2, 2016 at 10:26 am

Thats cool you met Duff.
            Amazing the impact they made with a handfull of albums.
            I actually wanted to catch Axl play some years ago but I couldn’t go.
            I dont know their prices but I imagine they aint cheap for the tour.

• Jacob Phillips

May 2, 2016 at 12:06 pm

I kinda felt sorry for the guy, he was playing in a tiny little club in a grim, British town, promoting this new band, but everyone was just going crazy telling him how much they loved Guns N Roses. Then again, I suppose with all that adoration I suppose he can hardly complain, I’d fucking swap places with him!

May 2, 2016 at 12:30 pm

For the groupie action alone …it will be worth it👍

• Jacob Phillips

May 1, 2016 at 10:49 pm

I think the first Shwarzenegger movie I went to see was End of Days, and I hated it. I remember my older cousins going to see Terminator 2 when it came out, but I wasn’t old enough. Fuck it!

May 2, 2016 at 6:07 am

I actually liked “End of Days” not my favorite of his obviously but I liked it a buddy of mine actually got into test screening of “End of days” before it was released and he saw some alternative footage and the audience was asked to pick which ending they liked best for example.

• Jacob Phillips

May 2, 2016 at 12:03 pm

It might be due another watch to be fair. That movie also had a Guns N Roses song, Oh My God, which I think was supposed to be a pretty big deal al the time because it was their first new song in a while, but understandably it didn’t achieve the greatness of You Could Be Mine, both the film and the song were, sadly, not a patch on what we got in ’92.

May 2, 2016 at 12:32 pm

92 was a homerun on both counts.
            Great movie…great song

May 1, 2016 at 10:11 pm

• Jacob Phillips

May 1, 2016 at 10:32 pm

thanks Macho, by reminding me of this scene you’ve helped me decide on Commando. Sure, Terminator 2 is great, but Arnold played a Machine, whereas John Matrix is a real man, and a real man that can tear a telephone booth out of the wall is more manly than any robot!

• Jacob Phillips

May 1, 2016 at 10:45 pm

This scene, and this movie, also brings to mind something that I often hear from comic book movie defenders, such as that pest who was hanging around the comments sections recently – that old school action movies are just as dumb and unbelievable as Transformers, Superman etc. That’s just plain WRONG! As a kid I believed that Arnold could actually do all that shit, like with the phone booth, carrying the tree on his shoulder, jumping out of a plane etc. And a lot of adults at the time must have believed it too, because those things were presented with a degree of plausability which has just gone out of the window with most of the mainstream shit today. Arnie was Mr Universe 6 times, so who could blame people for thinking he might be able to do all that stuff. By comparison, I never believed in anything that Superman or any other ridiculously outfitted Superhero did, and therefore never engaged with any super hero movie ever.

May 2, 2016 at 6:12 am

These guys were the heroes of the big screen.
        kids today have so many superhero movies..but back in the day, these guys were our superheroes.
        By hitting the gym & training we believe we could do that shit.
        Because of Sly & Arnold I started weight lifting.
        My pops liked lifting too & he bought me my first set of weights.
        Arnold it’s an executive editor in “muscle & fitness” magazine & he always has some good tips monthly in his column. Good magazine if you like that sort of thing.
        As far as the pests go.. what amazes me is that they want to have every fucking site on the internet to think like they do. The thought of fucking sites not thinking like they do, praising Bruce Jenner’s so-called courage & shit, irritates the shit out of them.. it’s amazing…plus pathetic
        Fuck’ Em!

May 1, 2016 at 10:11 pm

80s fucking ruled!!

May 1, 2016 at 10:14 pm

May 1, 2016 at 10:16 pm

May 1, 2016 at 10:18 pm

Chances are that if you don’t like this score …. you’re an idiot

May 1, 2016 at 10:21 pm

2 great Arnold classics.
    Tough choice indeed

May 1, 2016 at 10:24 pm

I have seen these movies more than a lot of my relatives.😎

• ColonelBobi

May 2, 2016 at 12:10 pm

I heard that!

edit: in Commando’s case I see it more than I see my wife!

May 2, 2016 at 12:29 pm

Lol
        In my case..
        I have jerked off more to Rae Dawn Chong than to my girlfriend.😃🍺

• ColonelBobi

May 2, 2016 at 7:53 pm

I best not reply to that man 😉

May 2, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Hahahhaha..thats alright. I often post & joke about my inability to stop pleasuring myself every chance I get.
            By the time my girlfriend gets to me i am worn- out😜
            Too many hot chicks on TV

9. Andymovieman

May 1, 2016 at 10:34 pm

Both good movies and both good action figures from Neca.

10. AlTeo

May 1, 2016 at 10:57 pm

Loved both, but I’m gonna go with T2, which is perhaps my favourite film. I can watch that movie every single day and never get bored; lost count as to how many times I’ve actually seen the film.

11. AlTeo

May 1, 2016 at 11:03 pm

A reminder that we just may (re)watch this in cinemas after all come this summer.

May 2, 2016 at 12:16 am

T2 I think..Obvious choice…..BTW, I hope Ronin is in on this macho stand off….Can’t believe anyone would prefer Lethal Weapon to Heat. ..I worry about you lot sometimes.

13. ColonelBobi

May 2, 2016 at 12:16 pm

I fucking love T2. It’s up there with Godfather II and Aliens as one of the best sequels of all time. However, Commando is my action movie bible. I’ve seen it an unhealthy amount of times. It is without question (to me) the manliest movie ever made. Matrix could probably beat the T-800 in an arm wrestling contest!

14. ColonelBobi

May 2, 2016 at 12:23 pm

I’ll just leave this here…

the full shed scene in it’s true uncut glory. lol @ Chico from Running Man fingering his bloody stump in horror!

• Jacob Phillips

May 4, 2016 at 11:07 pm

cheers = for years i was watching a version of this film taped off UK television and shed scene was cut in it’s entirety. i was thrilled when i bought the video and saw it for the first time, minus the machete chopping the guys arm off, which was even cut from the official UK release. It wasn’t until I got the US special edition dvd that I finally got to see the movie in full!

• ColonelBobi

May 5, 2016 at 10:47 am

I had the exact same issue man! There was 2-3 different censored versions of the movie I would see on UK TV none of which had the proper shed scene in. I’d only heard about it by myth. It ended with the lawnmower blades as I recall.
        Eventually I think SKY screened it in it’s proper glory and my bloodlust was sated. The last time I saw it on SKY Movies On Demand they had added a slightly longer version with a few more lines (mainly between Matrix & Cindy in the car chase) none of which added anything to the movie.

• Jacob Phillips

May 5, 2016 at 11:05 pm

yeah, there was a director’s cut, in addition to the missing violence around the shed scene, there was some extra dialogue, but i thought that was better left out of it. but i love arnold chopping the guy’s arm off!

• Jacob Phillips

May 5, 2016 at 11:07 pm

this used to be a thing with British tv, everytime a movie was on they seemed to cut out more and more of it. I remember watching a version of Aliens that was absolutely butchered – they even dubbed over swear words and stuff.

• ColonelBobi

May 6, 2016 at 9:38 am

Yeah I’ve lost count how many times I’ve watched that shed scene, the arm chop is maybe the best bit yet disturbing how he fingers the stump in horror while lying on the ground afterward. Funny as fuck though.

May 2, 2016 at 7:23 pm

Commando is the ultimate manly man movie nothing can beat it.

16. Shadow

May 4, 2016 at 7:15 pm

In this battle i vote for T2. But honestly for me the manliest movie ever is this one – Its theatrical version of Payback 1999 with Mel Gibson. For some unknown reason i can watch this movie several times in a row. For me, everything about this movie is great, action, music, acting, story, characters, this is really great thriller with old school action.
    Sadl that this movie not even present in this tournament. If anoyone of you never saw this movie before, i really recommend you to watch it, but theatrical version not director’s cut.