25 Years Ago: Terminator 2 – ManlyMovie

25 Years Ago: Terminator 2

terminator2download

25 years ago this weekend manly movie classic Terminator 2: Judgement Day hit theatres.  Can you believe that?  As a kid, I was prepared.  Remember, the Kenner toys came out before the actual movie.  I’d seen the first movie very late at night around 1989 or 1990 at about five years old when my old man let me stay up and watch it with him.

Terminator 2 was probably the peak of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s career and, come to think of it, James Cameron didn’t do any better either.  The movie grossed over 500 million, big bucks back in the day.

To commemorate the 25th anniversary of the film, it will be digitally remastered to 3D with a worldwide re-release planned for summer 2016. DMG Entertainment and Studiocanal will work together with Cameron to convert the film using the StereoD technology.  I haven’t heard anything about this recently though, but since Cameron did an amazing job converting Titanic, I do wonder what it would be like.

The canal chase in 3D would be interesting. Oh and this movie still has the single greatest teaser of all time…

1. Andymovieman

July 3, 2016 at 8:12 pm

After 25 years this film is still a classic from Arnold and James Cameron who knew how to make the terminator movies great. Honestly, if they used the idea that they were gonna use in this film of two t800s played by Arnold it would have been awesome but I liked that they used it for terminator genisys. Robert Patrick was and still is the first and best t1000 and byung hun Lee was second best in my opinion.

July 4, 2016 at 6:42 am

25 years ago.. audiences went crazy for “Terminator 2: Judgment Day”
    Today audiences go crazy for “Finding Dory”.

I need a time machine to take me the fuck back

• David Barber

July 7, 2016 at 12:01 am

Me, too. My brother and his mate watched this at the pictures in 1991. He told me he saw a lot of underage looking kids queueing up and that he thought it was an amazing film.

July 7, 2016 at 1:12 am

I also was a pre-teen & I remember watching it in the theater like 3 times. I also remember not been able to watch it opening weekend & being super mad about it & also cause my 2 best friends went without me.
        Terminator was a modest success at the Box Office in 1984 but on video & cable it became a huge hit. A friend of mine lost the Video cassette he rented from the video store & those original tapes were $100 back in the day & thats what his dad had to pay.
        By the time summer ’91 arrived Arnold was 1 of the biggest stars on the planet & The Terminator had become a classic. So the excitement for the sequel was off the charts. The movie was even better than the hype which is rare.
        I still have the VHS T2 copy i bought back in the day.
        Those were fun times. Good memories.
        Glad i was there

• David Barber

July 7, 2016 at 10:40 pm

Some kid in my class lent me T2 but it was a bootleg copy. I didn’t watch it entirely until 3 years later when it was shown on British TV and I thought it was an amazing action movie. I also saw the 1st Terminator when I was 12 but it was recorded from TV so it was edited for violence and language. A few years later, BBC2 in the UK showed the uncut version on a Sunday night.