When George C. Scott Shit On The Oscars - ManlyMovie

When George C. Scott Shit On The Oscars

Let’s bump this back to the top, given the week’s events.  If ever proof was needed that George C. Scott was one of the (few) manly men of Hollywood, it would be how he shit on 1970’s Oscars – by turning down an Oscar of his own.  Scott was nominated for best lead actor for his role in Patton, but Scott was having none of the pretentious bullshit.

“The ceremonies are a two-hour meat parade, a public display with contrived suspense for economic reasons,” Scott growled at the press.  “… they are offensive, barbarous and innately corrupt.”

Scott wasn’t finished.  “What I hate is that whole superstructure and the phony suspense and the crying actor clutching the statue to his bosom.. It’s all such a bloody bore.”  On the night the Oscars went down, Scott was at home.  Watching a hockey game.  After the game had finished, he simply went to bed.

Manly man: George C. Scott.

1. predator spirit

August 4, 2014 at 6:29 pm

ahahahaah pwnedddddddd!!!!!!!

2. HudsonsSkull

August 5, 2014 at 12:51 am

I wonder who won….. The hockey game that is.

I don’t give a shit about the oscars either. :))

3. Mansidido

August 9, 2014 at 2:03 am

Excellent article. God bless George C. Scott – the epitome of manliness.

February 29, 2016 at 3:17 pm

George C Scott ..a top man. We live in an age of small furry squeaky little betamales. Virtue signalling gimps…frightened and smug at the same time…..Very hard for real men to exist in a world which takes Caitlin Jenner seriously…BTW, if Caitlin Jenner gets an Oscar is it best actor or best actress?….? George C Scott didn’t have to deal with this bullshit… Check out The Last Run (1971)…

5. Andymovieman

February 29, 2016 at 5:44 pm

I agree with that.

February 29, 2016 at 6:29 pm

Another thing he said was that he believed that actors should not be competing with each other that way.
    I always found ironic that so many of these actors are hippies & socialist and are always talking about equality but then they go to countless award shows celebrating one person’s superiority over the other.

• Slater93

March 1, 2016 at 11:00 pm

THIS is a good point. It’s classy, down to earth, and very understandable. Getting all worked up about the awards for no good reason is different.

7. Slater93

March 1, 2016 at 10:59 pm

Is it me, or does getting very angry about award ceremonies come off as pretty unmanly? What’s the big deal? If you don’t like them, don’t go. Making such a statement just brings attention to himself and makes him look like a child. Actors that publicly decry award shows are just as pretentious as the actors that go to them.

8. Rich

May 15, 2016 at 11:17 am

He was even tougher than this, a long time previous. Back in 1961, Scott also declined the Academy’s *nomination* for his superlative role as Bert Gordon in “The Hustler,” which IMO is one of the manliest movies ever made.

February 27, 2017 at 5:50 pm

I like reading comments from times past. I reminisce and I see how much I have changed.
    Yep…I’m still an asshole😎